The Hong Kong Society for the Blind (HKSB)
- Established in 1956
- Over 500 staff serving around 75,000 visually impaired persons in Hong Kong.
- 80% of the services are funded by the government through the Social Welfare Department, the Education Bureau and the Hospital Authority. The rest is supported by the Community Chest and the Hong Kong Jockey Club.
Eye Care and Low Vision Service
- The General Eye and Low Vision Centre treated 43,629 general eye patients and 2,392 low vision patients in year 2007.
- With support from the International Agency for Prevention of Blindness Vision 2020 Project that involves participation from Sightsavers International, the Christian Blind Mission International and the Foundation of Dark and Light, the Vision 2020 Low Vision Resource Centre was established in 2003, providing low cost high quality devices to enhance the abilities of tens and thousands of people with visual impairment living in the developing countries. The Centre is now supplying low vision aids to over 70 developing countries in the world.
- The HKSB provides home management skills, communication skills, orientation and mobility skills training, sport and recreation activities to the visually impaired.
- Apart from visually impaired, we never neglect a minority group of deafblind and multiply disabled persons. We launch effective training programmes and services to meet with the special needs of our mentally handicapped blind and started the Deafblind Rehabilitation Programme since 1995.
Educational and Support Service
- The Centralised Braille Production Centre serves the reading needs of the entire visually impaired population in Hong Kong.
- The Information Accessibility Centre provides comprehensive services to facilitate information access of the visually impaired so as to empower them to leverage Internet applications and ICT to improve their quality of life, services include: Computer Support Help Desk, the first Netshare for the Blind, IBM Cyberworld, Digi-infotainment Zone and Barrier-free Reading Corner.
- In 1998, the HKSB also established its first Parent Resources Centre for visually impaired children. The Resources Centre holds developmental and educational activities for the parents of visually impaired children and in 2007/08, reached out to 761 members through 75 developmental and educational activities.
Vocational Training and Employment Service
- Established in 1963, the Factory for the Blind in Tokwawan is now providing vocational training and sheltered employment to a total of 215 visually impaired, hearing impaired, mentally handicapped, ex-mentally ill and physically handicapped workers.
The HKSB also runs two Health Massage and Treatment Centres in Shamshuipo and Tuen Mun, and a Mobile Massage Service which employs a team of 22 visually impaired masseurs and masseuses. Career Support and Development Centre provides training and counselling services to the visually impaired so as to enhance their potential and employment opportunities and to assist them in their employment.
- The HKSB operates four Residential Homes for the Visually Impaired Elderly and runs the only Day Activity Training Centre come Hostel for the mentally handicapped blind in Hong Kong.
Barrier Free Access Consultancy Service
The Consultancy Service Unit designs and supplies tactile maps to clients such as the MTR, public transport interchanges, public housing estates, libraries, sports facilities, public parks, universities, shopping malls and social organizations. We also conduct research on product design to improve barrier-free access of the visually impaired in Hong Kong.
- Laser Eye Surgery
- Conductive Keratoplasty
- Lens Implants
- Lens Replacement
- Radial Keratotomy
- MORE Treatments
- Macular Degeneration
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- MORE Diseases
- Lazy Eye (Amblyopia)
- Colour Blindness
- Dry Eye
- Floaters & Flashes
- Snow Blindness
- MORE Conditions
- Myopia (Short Sight)
- Hyperopia (Long Sight)
- Contact Lenses
- Eye Care
- Eye Tests
- Eye Specialists
- Health Insurance
- Surgery Abroad
- Eye Care Finance
- Eye & Vision Books
- Optical & Opticians Jobs
- Optical Supplies